mardi 28 juin 2016

Registering a Vehicle: Driving with "Incomplete Registration"

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: California

My vehicle registration expires on 6/30. This year a smog check is required. I have no reason to suspect that my vehicle will not pass. It always has.

However, I am in the hospital currently and cannot smog check the vehicle for several weeks. I paid the registration fee this morning online at the DMV's website.

I was told that I would receive a notice from the DMV in a few weeks with further instructions. According to my online research, all I have to do is have the car smog checked and then when the DMV receives the electronic submission from the testing station, they will mail me the stickers as they always have. All well and good.

However, what about driving in the interim? I found several stories online from people who were cited by officers for "expired registration," a few even stating that they ended up in court.

From my reading of the vehicle code, it is allowable to drive with an "incomplete registration":

4606. Notwithstanding any provision of subdivision (a) of Section 5204 to the contrary, when an application for the registration of a vehicle has been made as required in Sections 4152.5 and 4602, the vehicle may be operated on the highways until the new indicia of current registration have been received from the department, upon condition that there be displayed on the vehicle the license plates and validating devices, if any, issued to the vehicle for the previous registration year.

Am I wrong about this? Obviously the car has to be smog checked to complete the registration, and I as long as I do so as soon as I am able, it ought to be fine, yes?


Registering a Vehicle: Driving with "Incomplete Registration"

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire