mardi 28 juin 2016

Establishment: Providing Evidence and What to Expect for Permanent Restraining Order Court

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: New Jersey

BACKSTORY : I broke up with my boyfriend of 2.5 years on June 17. Since then he has been harassing me via many text messages, phone calls and acts of desperation. He threatened to commit suicide if we didn't get back together (I called the police on him), he threatened to steal my medication (actually stole it, but gave it back after a few hours - no cops were called), harassed me at work & threatened to cause a scene to get me fired as well as called my job around 30 times in less than an hour. He's had extreme bursts of rage, followed by lots of apologies (his attitude entirely flipped). Least to say his behavior has been very unpredictable and downright scary. While we were dating he has had many issues with his step father which caused him to make scary threats, my ex told me a few times he would stand over his sleeping step-father with a knife in his hand, wanting to kill him. And during fights between the two he would "black out" and not remember seriously injuring his step-father. All of that, along with his recent behavior has made me unfortunately kind of afraid of him because of his mental instability.

Sunday he was making numerous calls to my phone, using other people's phones to try to talk to me. Finally when he got a hold of me he said that he was on his way over to my place. I honestly didn't realize how afraid of him I was until this point. I started having a severe anxiety attack, I was home alone and terrified. My dad instructed me to leave the house until he [my dad] got home.

We ended up filing for a temporary restraining order and will have court for a permanent restraining order on Thursday (6/30, today is 6/28). The police officer explained that what my ex is doing is considered domestic abuse. I've been told to gather evidence for court on Thursday. I have a LOT of text messages from him, but I don't know how I would transfer them all onto paper (I took screenshots of the texts and phone call history, 401 pictures in total). And would they even be admissible in court? I'm not sure if it'd be considered hearsay.

Questions:
  • Are texts admissible in court? Both parties will be present in the court room
  • If texts ARE admissible, how could I print them all out without spending so much time doing it? ((Over 400 screenshots))
  • Would the 911 call I made for his suicide threat be relevent? Should I request a copy of that?
  • He's harrassed friends of mine as well as trying to get them to relay messages from me to him. Should I print these? Are they admissible?
  • How would the ex defend against my allegations and evidence?
  • What would happen in court? Not asking for a prediction of the outcome, I just want a general idea of what might happen
  • He's said "I better not see you with anybody." is this considered a threat?


Thank you very much in advance


Establishment: Providing Evidence and What to Expect for Permanent Restraining Order Court

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire