dimanche 23 octobre 2016

Speeding Tickets: State of Washington's Legal Ability to Use Collection Agents for Non-Wash. Residents

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of Washington when you are a non-resident:

I was recently cited for going 20 miles over the posted speed limit and given 15 days to respond to the citation. The traffic ticket response gives me 3 options: Pay the fine, request a "mitigation" hearing, or request a "contested hearing". For out of state residents, there is no option for submitting your version of the event without first admitting your guilt, and a trip to the Washington venue to present your side of the story could easily involve a trip of hundreds or thousands of miles, without any realistic chance of relief after you've already pleaded guilty. Any contestation on my part in a court would drive my expenses well past the posted penalty of $187.00, especially if I had to retain legal counsel to represent me.

(1) I do not believe I was going the speed alleged. The posted speed was 55, and I admitted to going 65+/-, but most definitely not 75. That tipping point of 20+ miles over significantly ups the $ penalty. The officer was driving ahead of me on a long uphill serpentine stretch of 4-lane highway and I first visually encountered his vehicle when he was approximately 150 yards ahead of me. A white SUV patrol car with the State Police logo only seen on the passenger doors, I of course wouldn't have run him over at 75 when I saw him, especially when he was barely driving 55 at the time. I expressed my disagreement with the speed he said I was going, but he said I was. I have no way of knowing if his vehicle was equipped with 360 radar, but he was a jerk and would have no part of backing off his 75 mph citation.

(2) Does the State of Washington have the ability to contract with a collection agency to hassle me for the fine & added penalties in Oregon if I refuse to pay ?


Speeding Tickets: State of Washington's Legal Ability to Use Collection Agents for Non-Wash. Residents

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire