jeudi 27 octobre 2016

Purchase Contracts: Purchasing Land from Someone Who Allowed Property to Be Sold Due to Unpaid Taxes

My question involves real estate located in the State of: South Carolina

Hello, I need information for a situation concerning Real Estate and Property Law. I am not sure what one forum to post this, so I am making multiple posts in the forums of “Buying, Selling and Conveying Real Estate”, “Landlord-Tenant Law”, “Real Estate Ownership and Title”, as my issue involves each of these areas. If any area is not sufficient would you please direct me.

Issues:
  • Purchasing land from someone who allowed property to be sold due to unpaid taxes
  • The Redemption Amount must be paid before 5pm on Thursday, Nov. 3rd 2016
  • Made down payment of $1,600, 10% of asking price of $16,000. I have receipt
  • Made monthly payments of $400 until 11/2012, have some receipts.
  • I have not seen the land owner for 3 year now, since I finished paying
  • Difficulty contacting him
  • He claims he cannot find the paperwork including receipt book.
  • I have invested in this property for repairs and other remodel upkeeps.
  • He changed the property agreement by trying to increase the price
  • He also attempted to divide the property in half
  • I am in South Carolina



In 2009 my wife found an ad for property for a lease to sale. It was listed at $16,000. He was asking for 10% down at $1,600 and $400 per month. We made our payments and made our last payment on November of 2012. I remember this month because it took 2 months to contact him to make the last payment. I have receipts of my down payment and most monthly payments. After making the last payment I asked him about the title and he said for me to write a bill of sale for him to sign. Wondering why he could not do it himself, I wrote the letter waiting to give it to him also preparing to get the letter notarized. But it was months before we could even contact him. In fact, the only times I was able to contact him is when I called from a number he could not recognize. Only catching him on the phone a few times, I have not seen him in over 3 years. We have been living on this property without paying anything to him since then.

I have also invested money into this property. I have done some work such as repairing drywalling and paneling some walls and putting down some pine hardwood floors. I have also spent money on repairing windows, plumbing, and some others. Once it became difficult to reach him, I only spent money where necessary for repairs.

About 2 years ago, I managed to catch him on the phone again. Then he told me that the property price was more than $16,000 though I know he told us otherwise. Once I asked him the overall price for the property so that we can close this, he said he does not know he would need to look it up. Again months went by before we could contact him again. I even went to his home a few times but he is never there. I never took action sooner as I was waiting for him to give us a final price.

Last year, we received notice of unpaid taxes. After much effort, we managed to contact him again. We asked to pay it if he could get us the title. He said he would take care of it. This year we received a notice that the property has been sold, for unpaid taxes. Again after trying to contact him, when we do, he has nothing to say other than we can pay the redemption amount. We plan to pay the costs but I am looking for information of what legal ground we have to receive the title he owes us and recoup the redemption amount as well as any other claims I can file against him.

Thank you for your time for addressing this and your help!


Purchase Contracts: Purchasing Land from Someone Who Allowed Property to Be Sold Due to Unpaid Taxes

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire