samedi 22 octobre 2016

Driver's License Issues: Can You Get a Driver's License in the State Where You Work

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Massachusetts.


I've previously been licensed in the state of Massachusetts with a clean driving record. I now live in Vermont, close to the Massachusetts border (within a few miles).

I have a valid Vermont license, with a clean driving record.

My prospective job offer (truck driving position non-CDL) requires an in-state (Massachusetts) license. Since I live out of state, I now longer have a valid Massachusetts license although I have had one previously with no driving record issues. I have spoken with the Massachusetts RMV, I went there in person and a lady informed me that I would not be able to obtain a Mass license while residing in another state, and there were no exceptions. I informed her of my situation and told her that I have heard some celebrities have licenses in multiple states, and all I want is to be able to show my job I have a valid Massachusetts license to satisfy their requirements. She would not budge.

I went back to my prospective employer, they said that they understand my situation and that they could still hire me IF and only if I would eventually be able to obtain a Mass license within a month or two, either by moving here or otherwise. I do not plan to move back to Massachusetts simply to obtain a drivers license to work for this company, although I would like to accept the job.

I find this situation hard to believe have searched high and low on the internet but have found nobody who seems to be in my exact position and asking this question, some similar but nothing that provides any answers as to how I can solve my problem.

I also find this very annoying seeing that Uber drivers can drive in other states with their out of state licenses, for instance there are plenty of Uber Drivers in Boston driving with New Hampshire licenses. I don't think it's unreasonable for my company to ask for a professional driver to have an in-state license, as their are different rules to the road in differing states, so as a professional driver I think one should have a license in the state which they are driving in professionally, but I don't think one should be forced to live there as a requirement to obtaining said license. To me it seems to boil down to Government being so inept or lazy they know they will not be able to keep track of people (and their driving offenses in various states) as well if they allow this.

I have written to the Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker a week ago and have yet to receive a response. The job offer is not going to wait for much longer.

I've decided I'm going to take the job (which I need at this moment) and tell them I will eventually obtain an in-state license. But, how I am going to do that or if I will be able to, I do not know at this point, until perhaps the Governor's office contacts me. Now here is my question:

I have a long-time friend in Massachusetts who will let me use their mailing address. I have deduced that I will be able to send some qualifying mail (to satisfy the MASS RMV) to this address. The reason I will have to do this (use his address and send the mail) is because I do not plan on turning in my Vermont license. I will simply tell the RMV that my previous license is expired and is from New Hampshire (I was previously licensed in NH as well). Then I will go through the rigmarole of getting my learners permit and taking the road test, to obtain my Mass License.

What issues might I face that I have not foreseen? Obviously they "might" be able to look up and see my Vermont license, but as inept as government (especially in Massachusetts) is where one hand doesn't even know what the other is doing even within the state, I doubt they will successfully do this. They will have no reason to, and even if they do they are not competent.

I ask kindly for any and all of your suggestions or advice, a heart-felt thank you to all forum members who take the time to read and respond.

One other thing, If I obtain a Massachusetts license, I will obviously not show both licenses if I am pulled over. If I'm pulled over in my personal vehicle I will show my Vermont license... But if pulled over while at work while driving the truck, do you think it better to show my Vermont or Massachusetts license?

Thanks again.


Driver's License Issues: Can You Get a Driver's License in the State Where You Work

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire