samedi 22 octobre 2016

Rent and Utilities: Tenants Trying to Sue Me Over Mold and Other Issues

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Ohio

I own a duplex in the state of Ohio located in Montgomery county, my tenants have been decent and nice people but they always had something to complain about since they moved in. They wanted this fixed and that fixed, some were necessary and some weren't. I put in new carpet, today we're putting in a new furnace because they're old one stopped working yesterday, a few months ago their toilet started leaking and caused problems in the bathroom and mold behind the toilet so I replaced the drywall behind it as soon as they told me about it. The drywall wasn't finished at that time but it was hung up and the mold removed, then other mold started growing in the bathroom, so I took the shower surround off as soon as possible and put a new surround up, the tenants were upset with how long it took to take the old surround off and put the new one back up. We cut out mold that was growing on the green board in the back and replaced it with new drywall green board any place where mold had been growing. It was done. They had 1 dog when they moved in and I put one dog on their lease, he ended up getting another dog ( a great dane ) and never asked me permission I came over one day and it was there. Of course I was shocked and he said it'd be just for a week maximum two, 3 or 4 months later and it's still there and it's their dog now. I never made a big deal because I saw the dog wasn't tearing up the carpet and destroying the house, both dogs are good dogs but regardless they did break lease there. I didn't say anything I just said it was fine.

Over the summer they were upset because they weren't able to put AC windows in the unit so I went out and bought AC units for them with my own money, I bought two used units at a yard sale and put the units in for them, we had to tear out two windows and put board up. The board wasn't properly caulked and now he said that there is mold on their dresser and clothes and that it's ruined her guitar, dresser and clothes. I said I would do my best replacing the windows as soon as possible but at the same time we could caulk it up or put plastic over it and insulate it the best as possible for the winter. I do realize it's a board and an AC unit there and it does need to be covered with some plastic or something, he wants brand new windows in. I can't put brand new windows in when i just put two new furnaces in the house at a cost of $2,200. I'm budgeting but I'm losing more money than I'm making.

But today he came at me with the mold issue again and was rude with me and I said I'm done dealing with this, the upstairs tenant doesn't complain about anything except that he's not receiving mail and there are some spiders that he is concerned about. Those are his only complaints, this guy here complains about everything, so I told him I'm giving him a 30 day notice, he's not on a year lease anymore and I am done with their attitude, so I am giving them a 30 day notice and he said he'll have court papers for me. What can he sue me for? anything? he says I am a slum lord but everything he's asked me to do I've done.


Rent and Utilities: Tenants Trying to Sue Me Over Mold and Other Issues

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire