mardi 25 octobre 2016

Criminal Law Issues: Simple Assault Conviction Visa Renewal

Iowa City, IA | yesterday at 12:29pm
I was arrested in August 2015 and later convicted under Iowa 708.1(2) "Any act which is intended to place another in fear of immediate physical contact which will be painful, injurious,insulting, or offensive, coupled with the apparent ability to execute the act." and 708.2(6) " Any other assault, except as otherwise provided, is a simple misdemeanor". I had to pay fines, got no jail sentence and got a deferred judgment after which the case was dismissed and subsequently expunged in June 2016.

I am on an F1 visa. My offense wasn't a crime of violence under the statue, wasn't a domestic violence case, wasn't a CIMT and the maximum penalty under state law is 30 days in jail.

The maximum penalty for DUI in iowa is much higher than simple assault.

Will I have issues during visa renewal (stamping)? Is it considered more or less serious than a DUI?

As per my knowledge I should not be inadmissible.

Thanks,


Criminal Law Issues: Simple Assault Conviction Visa Renewal

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire