mardi 31 mai 2016

Traffic Accidents: Car Owner Wants to Settle Without Insurance

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Washington state.

Bottom line: Car owner at fault is offering me a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser with 110,000 mile and $1,000 cash and paying for towing in leu of insurance settlement.

Background:
A white truck rear-ended my 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix (130,000 miles), resulting in a total loss plus ~$550 of property damage (vehicle contents). There was one passenger in my vehicle, and none in the truck. Three days later, we are sore but do not forsee the need of medical attention.

Insurace:
The offending driver was not insured, but his dad, the owner of the truck, does have it insured. However, dad signed a waiver with his insurance that his son would not drive the vehicle. I do not know what the consequences of breaking that waiver is.

I am insured, and fortunately have both Uninsured Motorist (bodily injury) and uninsured motorist property damage ($10,000 max, $100 deductible; does not cover the $550 of property damage). Progressive is still processing my claim, and they haven't yet decided if the offending vehicle is insured or uninsured.

Offer from dad, car owner:
He called me offering a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser (110k miles) that he was fixing up for his wife, plus $1,000 cash. He is a used cars salesman, and says if I don't like the PT Cruiser (he's bringing it for me to drive Thursday), then he will find me a vehicle of greater value.

My circumstance:
I am a second-to-third year medical student, studying for boards in three weeks. In four weeks I am getting married. In five weeks I start rotations. I don't have a lot of time.


Thank you to anyone who reads this post and offers me advice. I greatly appreciate it!
astranberg


Traffic Accidents: Car Owner Wants to Settle Without Insurance

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire