mardi 31 mai 2016

Theft and Larceny: Accused of Misdemeanor Theft

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Louisiana

Hello, I have been accused of theft of under $750 back in November 2015. I am 22 years old and it is my first offense. So far, I have been to court three times, all of which has been pre-trial diversions. Initially, I was instructed by the DA to plead guilty but I decided not to (thank God for research) and with that a plea has not been submitted yet. I can't help but feel the DA is trying to rush through the case, more than likely due to my lack of knowledge of the legal system. I have not stood trial for this yet.

The second diversion consisted of the DA instructing me to pay restitution, with no payment plans being offered but telling me to show up in 4 months with the total amount. I went to get my next court date and it was the next month. Impossible. I have been saving money, but as it is difficult to get a job at this moment due to the honest about my case, needless to say I failed to turn up with the money by the next date. It is not because I am unwilling, but unable. This pre-trial diversion consisted of the DA telling me that I need to have the total amount by the next date (two weeks from that date), or else I will HAVE to submit a guilty plea.

There is no way I will be able to have that amount but being forced to submit a guilty plea seems outrageous to me. Is this possible? I have no intentions to plead guilty at all, but can they make me?

Please help.


Theft and Larceny: Accused of Misdemeanor Theft

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire