mardi 31 mai 2016

Suspension and Revocation: DOL Notified Me of Suspension in 2012 but Never Invalidated Me Until 4 Years Later

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Washington

This is a long nightmare story that I am hoping will have a happy ending with your help.

In Feb 2011 I got a minor DUI 0.9 BAC which I plead down to neg 1 and was required to install ignition interlock. I put the ignition interlock in on Feb 21 and took out on Jun 28th 2012 (4 months and 6 days). To my best recollection I received an unrestricted license after and up until 2 days ago I was under the impression I still had one.

Fast forward to May 29 2016 I went camping in Eastern Washington. I was pulled over for a seatbelt violation in a small town by a Statey and was told that I was suspended. I was shocked as I have had very few driving related violations since my DUI. He told me that I had an ignition interlock restriction and that I was being cited/arrested for DWLS and impounding my car. FUKK. :wallbang:

After several hours on the phone with DOL this morning I have come to this understanding: DOL never received full completion documentation of my IID, apparently I was required to have it in until June 30th not June 28th.... 2 days early? :confused: Why it was taken out early I have no idea because it was so long ago but I must have been told it was ok to do so by somebody or I never would have done it. So, according to DOL they sent me a notice of suspension in July 2012 to an old address they had on file. I never received this letter but that's not important to this particular matter. What IS important is that they did not suspend me right away. They left my license valid in their system and in January 2014 after spending 1 year abroad I came home and had to renew my Drivers license, I went to DOL and was renewed (in error according to DOL) without issue. Since 2014 I have been pulled over at least 4 times and have had no incidents with my drivers license. Apparently the error was noticed in early May 2016 by someone and my license was then "officially suspended". I was intentionally not notified of this by DOL because technically I had been suspended this entire time and was notified in 2012. Mind blown.

Now they are telling me I need to reinstall the device for 4 months in my car and I have a court date coming up for a criminal case 300 miles away from my home. The consequences of this situation are so much heavier for me now than they would have been in either 2012 or 2014. I am now in outside sales where my drivers license is mandatory because I fly all over the country and rent cars. I will not be able to do this with an Ignition interlock device restriction which means I cannot be employed by this company. I will leave my personal issues out of the equation but lets just say this could ruin me. Do I have any recourse to either get my license back temporarily until this is figured out or to sue the Department of Licensing for monetary reimbursement? The person I spoke to inside DOL is on my side and is disgusted by what her employer is doing to me so if that is worth anything I figured I would throw it out there.

I welcome all experience in this but if anyone knows Washington Law specifically on these matters I am very interested to hear from you. Some bottom feeding lawyer out here told me that the dates are important because there was an amendment or something to the IID law in 2011 but he was so sleazy I couldn't continue with him.

Thanks All

-Adam


Suspension and Revocation: DOL Notified Me of Suspension in 2012 but Never Invalidated Me Until 4 Years Later

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire