mardi 31 mai 2016

Subleases: Subtenant Breaking a Prepaid Sublease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Vermont

Hello! I signed a sublease for a three month apartment rental. Before signing the lease, the tenant had said in an email that she would be "deep cleaning" the apartment before vacating. This was the primary reason I agreed to sign the lease. I also agreed the pay upfront for the three months of rent because the tenant would be traveling and wouldn't have an address to send a check to.

I moved in on a Monday and out on a Tuesday. The apartment was left absolutely filthy. Mouse droppings in cabinets, piles of pet fur everywhere, coffee grounds all over the counters and floor, sticky counter tops, filthy shower stall and toilet...The list goes on. Plus the place reeked of cat urine. I spent from midday Monday through midmorning Tuesday cleaning before giving up and moving out. I contacted the tenant after moving out to complain about the condition of the apartment and requested to break the lease and get my rent returned. The tenant refused, claiming that the condition of the apartment was not enough to break the lease. She said that she purchased a new rug for the extra bedroom and new sheets for the main bedroom. She refused to return any of the rent paid for the summer.

I replied the same day and listed all the cleaning she hadn't done. Basic cleaning tasks weren't done, let alone anything qualified as "deep cleaning." I have pictures of the condition of the apartment. As of the following Friday afternoon (three days after moving out) the water had been turned off. As of the following Monday, the landlord had unplugged the fridge/freezer with her food still inside. She never communicated with me about any of this happening. She has not replied to my last two emails. I texted her today requesting that she reply so we can either find a settlement or I can move forward with filing a claim.

And now to the questions - what are my rights as the subtenant? Since I moved out (less than 24 hours after moving in), the tenant had the water turned off. I am prepared to file a small claim, but I would like an idea of what to expect. Before she turned off utilities, what would my change be of succeeding in a small claim? Do her actions change anything?

Thanks in advance!


Subleases: Subtenant Breaking a Prepaid Sublease

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire