mercredi 30 mars 2016

Rent and Utilities: Is There a Limit on Rent Increase for Tenant Who Has Been Living in Apt. for 22 Yrs

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I wonder if you could kindly help me with 2 issues.

1. I’ve been renting a townhouse in the Los Angeles area for 22 and a half years.

The prior management company was very lenient with regard to rent increases.

Since at times the real estate market was very bad, in some years, they would not increase my rent at all.

When the real estate market was hot, they would increase my rent by about $100.

However, over the past 3 years, the management company has changed and the new company increased my rent by $100 during the first 2 years.

This year, however, they increased my rent by $200.

My rent used to be $2050 and as of May 1st, it will be $2,250.

The other townhouses in the building are being rented for $2,600.

However, I still feel that I should have been given a smaller rent increase for the following reasons.

Since about 8 years ago, the prior management company as well as the current one have completely remodeled and renovated all of the townhomes once they were vacant.

In fact, they have remodeled and renovated a number of units several times.

The management companies have installed dark hardwood laminate floors throughout each unit, built high ceilings, remodeled the kitchens, installed new stoves, built new granite counter tops, etc.

On the other hand, over the past 22 plus years, they have never remodeled and renovated my apartment or made any major changes.

My apartment currently needs to have major changes done as the moquettes, blinds, heater, etc., need to be replaced.

Over the past 22 and a half years, many tenants have come and gone. I think that, on average, tenants would stay in their apartments for only about 2 years or so.

Once the tenants would leave, often their units would remain vacant for many months before a new tenant moved in, whereas I’ve been living in my apartment consistently over many years.

I wanted to ask the management company to reconsider its rent increase based on the fact that I have been living in the apartment for well over 22 years, and that, unlike the other units, no major changes, renovations and remodeling have taken place in my apartment, and the condition of the apartment has deteriorated considerably?

Would such an argument make any sense?

Are there any laws or regulations that provide any protection for longtime tenants against rent increases?

2. If I can’t get the management company to reconsider the rent increase, I would like to move out of the apartment and go to a smaller and more affordable place.

A friend of mine told me that since I have been living in the apartment for such a long period of time, the company would have to pay me interest on the deposit funds I gave the company over 22 years ago. Is that true?

Since the apartment has deteriorated considerably due to wear and tear and the fact that no major improvements or changes were made to the unit over the years, I’m afraid that I may get hit with a huge bill for repairs, and that I would end up owing the company a great deal of money.

Is there anything I can do to decrease the chances of getting hit with a huge repair bill once I leave?

If anyone could provide any advice, guidance and assistance regarding the above issues, I would be deeply grateful.

Thank you very much for your kind attention, time and help.

Henry


Rent and Utilities: Is There a Limit on Rent Increase for Tenant Who Has Been Living in Apt. for 22 Yrs

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire