jeudi 31 mars 2016

Privacy: Are Anonymous Tips Kept Anonymous

My question involves public health law in the State of: New York

Some time ago I reported an instance of welfare fraud in my state. This person started a job for $14/hr and did not report it, also did not report $500 in rental income from a property she had from a divorce and over $500 in child support that she was receiving in cash. She also did not report the income of her live-in boyfriend who also worked full time. She was having her rent paid in full through welfare, $200 cash assistance, $700 in food stamps (for her and 3 kids - one that she does not have custody of) and was receiving Medicaid.

Obviously she is now in very big trouble as the investigator has come calling and she's had this job for almost 6 months with no attempt at all to update the welfare office. She is trying to find out who made the complaint, and since she has a friend in the welfare office (which is how she's gotten away with it for so long), she may succeed. The trouble is, I did it online and I cannot for the life of me remember if I provided any of my info. I haven't gotten any phone calls or emails asking more questions so I don't *think* I did, but something that the investigator said made her think they know who submitted it. I just want to know, if I did put my info on there (by obvious lack of judgement) and her friend in the welfare office looks it up and spills the beans...do I have any legal recourse for endangering my welfare by releasing anonymous information? This person has a history of violent behavior, so yes, i would actually fear for my safety and that of my children who are close to hers.

Have there been instances where the welfare office has provided the identity of the "anonymous" person to the suspect in question? If she winds up going to trial, will I be expected to testify?


Privacy: Are Anonymous Tips Kept Anonymous

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire