mardi 29 décembre 2015

Rent and Utilities: What Are the Implications of Not Paying Utilities when Roommate is Absent for Months

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Virginia

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm in need of advice. So here is the situation: I have been living outside of my own apartment for about 3 and a half months. I have been successfully paying rent with no late fees as well as utilities (electricity/internet) even when I was not living there (out of kindness). The problem is, when I told my roommates that I will no longer be paying utilities because I was not living there and benefitting from it, they wanted to take me to a small claims court. One of my roommates messaged me saying that I am liable to pay for the utilities because she has proof that I have given her my agreement (through text messages and bank notes) on paying utilities. Also, she said that she will not pay for part of her rent until I pay for the utilities (I am the one who usually pays the full rent on one account with my roommate's share).

However, I have called my leasing office and inquired about this. They said that I was not liable to pay the utilities because she has no written agreement with both a signature and a date. The best I can do is separate the account and pay my rent separately from them and the rest is up to them to deal with. However, I have talked to my roommate about this but she is still saying that she will take me to a small claims court no matter what. Do I have a chance of defending myself through any of this?

Thanks.


Rent and Utilities: What Are the Implications of Not Paying Utilities when Roommate is Absent for Months

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire