lundi 28 décembre 2015

Change of Ownership: Just Made Settlement and a Squatter is in the Property - Pennsylvania

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Pennsylvania

Hello,

Yesterday I purchased my deceased uncle's home off from my cousin, the sole heir and executor of the estate. On 10/1/15 we agreed on the purchase contingent upon the condition of the home. My uncle died in 2013 and the property has been occupied by his on/off again girlfriend who has refused to leave the home. The home has no working plumbing, a huge water lien, is in severe disrepair, infested with roaches, mold, and the woman who wouldn't leave had/has 5 cats. The smell is horrid and the neighbors have been trying to get her out by complaining to my cousin and the city to no avail. My cousin, who saw the property as a headache, never cleared the water lien, paid taxes, etc. and was about to let the house go up for sheriff sale when I made the offer to buy. I helped him open the estate, paid all the inheritance taxes, real estate taxes, water lien, got an insurance policy, and paid for the lawyer to walk us through all of this. Our agreement was to deduct each fee from the agreed price he wanted for the house and that would bring us to the final sale price. I also agreed to talk to the squatter and help get her out. On October 25, I came out of pocket for the first time and paid the probate fees. It was on this day that my cousin and I knocked on the door and spoke with the squatter. My cousin didn't want to enter the house so I went in on invitation. I took a quick walk around the house and saw the deplorable condition myself ans spoke with the woman and explained what was happening. I made it very clear that she has been living there rent-free and against the wishes of my cousin and had refused all attempts to make her leave to include one very specific incident in early 2014. I told her I was purchasing the house and she had 30 days to vacate the property with her belongings. Hearing squatter horror stories, I also agreed to pay her first and last month's rent for an apartment totaling up to 1500.00 if she met her end of the agreement. She said she would be out by then. I have texts to prove all of this.

On the agreed date, I knocked on the door again to check if the property was vacant. It was not and she said she needed another week or two but had moved most of her stuff out and gotten rid of the furniture. I gave her until the next day and said if she wasn't out, I would not help her with the 1500.00. When I knocked the next day there was no answer. Vie text, she said she wasn't home but still needed time. I said the money was off the table and that I would not give her a cent at that point. She begged via a few more texts but I did not answer them and decided it wasn't worth the effort and would check back in a couple weeks.

Fast forward to mid-December. I knocked at the property on 3 separate days with no answer. The neighbor I spoke with hadn't seen her and I assumed the property was vacant as no belongings were visible. Neither myself or my cousin had a key, however, and could not check physically. Well, settlement came and went yesterday and I now have clear title to the property and guess what, she is back in there (or never left). I called the police and they told me I had to go through the eviction process. Needless to say, I am pissed and am paying a retirement loan in the meantime and was wondering what rights I have as new owner. I contacted the attorney's office who guided us through the probate process but am waiting for a call back. Figured I'd try this forum to see if anyone had similar experiences. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Also, she has no gas or water as I paid those bills and had the companies issue a "do not restore" order under the previous names. She still has electric so I am assuming that is the only bill she pays.


Change of Ownership: Just Made Settlement and a Squatter is in the Property - Pennsylvania

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire