dimanche 28 août 2016

Unlawful Presence and Overstay Attending Recorder's Court

Hello community,

This is my first post here. I've been doing some reading and this is a great community, so I'd like to start by congratulating you all for being part of this!

Okay, so I came into the US running away from safety threats in my country of origin. I started working here and overstayed my visa because it was the only way I could bring my family (mother, father, two sisters and a brother) here and help them get to work and study.

They have applied for asylum because of the threats we experienced, but I wasn't able to apply with them because when they started the process, I already had been here for a year and the person they hired for it said after a year of being here I was no longer eligible for it.

So, my first question to you is: is there any way I can still apply for asylum? If so, how?


Now, in other news, I bought a car recently, but its check engine light was on, so I had been trying to fix it and putting miles on it by driving around close to home (after fixing something in the engine, you need to reset the codes on the computer and drive the car 50-100 miles to ensure that the check engine light won't come on again).

However, this being the first car I buy here in the US, I had been driving with the previous owner's tag on the car because I thought it would be better than driving with no tag at all. That's where I was wrong. I was pulled over and handed a ticket for violating section 40-6-15 of Georgia State Law and given a date to appear in court.

Be that as it may, the officer was very polite and told me to take that tag off the car as soon as possible and get a Georgia driver's license (I gave him my unexpired driver's license from my country but he said it was no good for driving here).

I was able to resolve the problem two days after that happened (great timing, right?) and got a tag after passing emissions testing.

It's also worth noting that the car has been under insurance since the day I got it, so there are no problems as far as that goes. I also have had no problem with the law either here or in my country of origin prior to this.

So, what's your opinion on this matter? Should I see an immigration lawyer, a traffic ticket lawyer or both? And which one of them should I take to court with me? Am I possibly looking at jail time or deportation or could I get community service or fine options?

Thanks in advance!


Unlawful Presence and Overstay Attending Recorder's Court

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire