dimanche 28 août 2016

Copyright Law: Can I Retain the Sole Rights to a Comic I Created During a Group Project in School

Hi, I'm trying to publish a comic I've been working on for a while. But the idea for the comic started as a group project with four other people in an advertising program in graduate school in Virginia.

We were supposed to create a new Marvel Superhero and give them an origin story and supporting cast, as well as come up with the hypothetical way in which we would debut the character to the world; for example movies and commercials. I took the reigns on creating the characters, their appearances and names, and the story. An art director traced visuals she found online, and the other three people worked on the possible roll out for the superhero through advertising, and the movies and whatnot.

I’ve changed numerous aspects of my original story to distance my current version from the group project. Anything I did not come up with, or wasn’t sure if I created, I changed. But there are certain names and story elements that I cannot change. I was the one who came up with the material anyway, and I don’t want to change these crucial aspects of the comic.

What I’m worried about is if my comic is published, what is the possibility of my former partners rightfully claiming creative rights? Would they be able to do that? I haven’t talked to any of them about my project, and I don’t intend to. I haven’t spoken to any of them in years, and none of them have done anything with the original material.

I was the only writer in the group, and, like I said, I created every aspect of the characters and story for the project. Do you have any thoughts on if the other group members could lay claim to my comics? I’ve put everything into the world I’m creating in my comics, and I intend to build a career around my work. Though, I don’t want to be screwed over after the fact. So, should I be taking some sort of legal action to protect my work? I’ve already pre-registered the copyright with Copyright.gov, but is there something more I should do?

I’d appreciate any advice people may have. Thanks.


Copyright Law: Can I Retain the Sole Rights to a Comic I Created During a Group Project in School

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire