mardi 30 août 2016

Discrimination and Accommodation: Can One Refuse a Person with a Service Dog if It is a Violation of Health Standards

My question involves a person located in the state of: NY

My wife owns a salon, and recently she got certified/trained to do eyebrow tattooing in her salon. However, now she must adhere to higher health/sanitary regulations (same as a tattoo parlor). One of which is that she can't have animals in her store.

My wife has a client coming next week, who always brings her dog. My wife texted her and said that because of the new health standards, she can't bring her dog into the store. The client replied and said it's a service dog and that my wife must allow her in.

As an aside, I asked my wife about the dog's behavior when it came before and she said the dog wanders off during the appointment, approaches other people, and even tried to drink out of the water cooler last time. I am 99.9% certain this is a therapy dog and not a comfort dog.

So, what I would like to ask is:

IF this is a service dog, does my wife have to let it in her store? Or because of health/sanitation issues, can she refuse the owner & the dog access?

Also, can you provide any advice on the best way for my wife to handle this? I wonder I there is some way to request proof this is a service dog (but very weary of doing that).

Thanks,

Right now, it seems like if she does let the dog in, she could get in trouble with the health/sanitation department. If she doesn't let it in, she could be sued.


Discrimination and Accommodation: Can One Refuse a Person with a Service Dog if It is a Violation of Health Standards

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire