lundi 29 août 2016

Compensation and Overtime: Employer is Not Compensating Employees for Travel Time for Required Duties

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: West Virginia

Good afternoon all,

This is my first time posting here. I looked through older posts, so I hope I am not re-opening an older thread.

Anyways, I work as a Project Administrator here in WV for a quasi-governmental office. We are appointed by the state of WV, but have Federal entities attached to us as well. Most labor laws our office follows pertain to Federal guidelines. That being said, apparently there are new labor laws going into effect 1 December. I am classified as a non-exempt employee and have been made to "comp" any time I have over our normal work-week. Example: I work over 5 hours Mon-Thurs, I have to take that 5 hours off on Friday instead of being paid overtime. It has also been stated to me that any time I go to meetings (leave from office to go to meeting site, then from meeting site back to office), the travel time is not counted unless I am the one driving. Here is the following example:

Normal workday is from 8:30a - 4:30p. We have a meeting at 6:00p that takes 2 hours to get to. Meeting lasts for an hour and it takes 2 hours to get back. Round trip = 5 hours. We leave at 4:00 to make it there in time, so 30 min of that time is covered under normal workday. Therefore, 4.5 hours extra to make up, right??? Wrong.

They state that because I didn't drive, then I only have to make up the 1 hour at the meeting. How does that logically make sense? I am en route to a work related event, yet because I am in the passenger seat, I am not supposed to be compensated for my time?

Please don't get me wrong here...I absolutely HATE taking any time off because we always work over and I can't get anything done. However, if I have to follow these guidelines I feel that it should be somewhat fair at least.

Thanks for any help!

-Andy


Compensation and Overtime: Employer is Not Compensating Employees for Travel Time for Required Duties

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire