lundi 29 août 2016

Cleaning and Repairs: How to Stop a Landlord for Charging You for Pre-Existing Conditions When You Move Out

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I'll start from the beginning. When we moved in, it was an emergency and we had to take whatever we could get the fastest. The house had potential, It was a HUGE lot (almost half acre), but it was wrecked. multiple holes in the walls in every single room. Half the doors had holes in them, kitchen painted green, one room was neon purple. None of the ceiling fans worked (still don't), 5 foot high pile of junk in the front yard and even bigger pile of junk in the backyard. Apparently the tenants moved out in the middle of the night and left it trashed. I felt bad for the lady and told her I'd be willing to help with a lot of the work except for hauling away the junk. I was already planing on painting so I told her I would patch and paint, and I would hang the doors she provided. Once the lease was signed that lady pulled a 180 and avoided doing anything she said she was going to do. So I just did the minimum required to make the place somewhat presentable.I ended up clearing out half of the front yard but she said she was going to have a crew come and clear out the junk and clean it up and never did. In exchange for the front yard she did return my security deposit in exchange for my help (only $500 though). The backyard I left alone, I didn't plan on staying for a really long time and I didn't want to dump money into a rental, especially with a landlord like mine. So after 2 years the big pile of junk is still there. I bugged her for almost 2 months after we moved in to come and get it and she never did. It took her 4 months to put in the missing shower door. So i figured screw it, in my lease it says I agree to leave the house in the same condition I received it in, and that's what shes going to get.

But..... when I spoke to her regarding my move out, she specifically mentioned the back yard. She said to make sure that all my trash is cleared out of the back yard. I told her I will not be leaving any of MY trash. I'm just worried about this becoming a legal problem. I think she remembers she never had the junk cleared out and is playing dumb. My wife says she took pictures of the place when we moved in but says she can't find them on the computer. Should I be worried?


Cleaning and Repairs: How to Stop a Landlord for Charging You for Pre-Existing Conditions When You Move Out

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire