mercredi 31 août 2016

Transfer of Title: Odometer Roll Back

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

So this past Saturday I purchased a vehicle from an ad on Craigslist for $4600. The ad stated the 2005 Honda Accord vehicle had 1 owner and had approx. 128,000 miles (which was great mileage for the vehicle's year). So I met the person that was posting the ad at a nearby shopping center from her home (so she said) when I was first given the address I assumed this was the home address of the seller. But when I arrived I discovered it was at a business. So I called the seller to advise that I was at the address she provided. Seller said she lived in the apartments behind the location and would be right there. I thought it was strange but proceeded to wait for seller. She arrived with the car shortly. Car looked in great condition inside and out. Interior was super clean as if the car had not been driven much. I inspected car under the hood and everything looked good. I proceeded to test drive car for few miles and it was smooth, car drove excellent. I was excited that I had found a car that drove great and not too high in mileage. After test driving, I drove back to the location where I met seller. Seller gave me some info on car (gas saver, had new tires, up to date with service) and I told seller I was interested in buying car. I drove about 30 miles out to see car so I was ready to take it home. My husband was with me and he too agreed the car was good. So seller had the title with her and signed off on it and also filled out a bill of sale and she wrote down the mileage on the odometer which was 129,280 and signed release of interest and right after I handed her the money. She turned in the car and stated she would just walk back home since she lived nearby and was going to step inside the Staples inside that shopping center. I never asked seller for ID. She wrote down the address that was on the title on the bill of sale. Last odometer reading on title was 104,906 on 8/31/10. I just thought wow, they've only about 25,000 in 5 years. I didn't think much of it and drove the vehicle I purchased home. Car drove great. Monday I took the car to get registered at the DMV but could not finalize the registration because the car needed a Smog Check but I did pay the fees. Took the car to get a Smog Check and it passed immediately. Yesterday, it was suggested to me by a friend that I get a carfax report. So I did, and what I found left me baffled. The last reported odometer reading on vehicle was 174,691 on 4/23/15, just last year. This vehicle is pending completion of registration once I return to the DMV. The DMV worker, entered the info I provided in the computer and charged fees but returned the title to me until I return with proof of Smog which I have now. I am now stuck and don't know what to do. Any advice anyone can provide? I have a copy of the online Craigslist listing that indicated the pic of car, year and the mileage and contact number to call. I have text exchanges with seller. I called her to inform her of information I discovered and she denied it being true. She said, the report must be a mistake, send me a copy of it. I have a feeling she is obviously lying and now I'm doubting she is even the person who's name is on the title. Any advice? I'm now afraid to take vehicle to finalize registration at DMV because I'm afraid I'll get in some kind of trouble when I was the one who was taken advantage of. I accept it was my mistake for not checking carfax before nor asking the seller for identification. I'm so angry that I knew all the steps to take but did not take them. I previously purchased a car the same way and it was a smooth transaction. What happens in these cases? I would appreciate feedback.


Transfer of Title: Odometer Roll Back

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire