lundi 29 août 2016

Retail Fraud / Shoplifting: Caught when Shoplifting for the First Time. Extremely Nervous and Regretful

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Massachusetts

Hi,
I am a 20 year old high-achieving college student and I have never broken the law or been in trouble with the law before (not even a traffic ticket), but in a impulsive mistake, I attempted to shoplift some cosmetics and jewelry from Nordstrom Rack for the first time today and was caught. I have been suffering from depression, anxiety, and insomnia for a period of time now, and I think that contributed to my poor decision making. I absolutely regret it and take full responsibility. After, two store workers took me to a room, and in a panic attack, I blanked and initially lied about not having an ID with me. I did give the ID to them and voluntarily returned all items, totaling to approximately $116, but no item exceeded $20 in value. They took my photo, phone number, address, and copied my drivers license, and they had me sign a trespass form and civil demand form. They told me it was a first offense and did not call the police at the store. For some reason the security officer commented that I seemed like a frequent shoplifter, which is not true. They told me to expect a letter with a fine or to call a phone number in 3-5 days.
I was wondering what I should do next. If I pay the fine from the letter, will the police still be called and will I still be arrested/have to pay further fines? How long does it usually takes for a store to call the police on an offender? Do I need a lawyer to pay the fine, and should I hire a lawyer look over the charge/letter when it arrives?
I am worried that my initial panic and lie about not having my ID, coupled with the store worker's comment about me appearing to be a frequent shoplifter, would reflect unfavorably on me and potentially cause them to call the police. I think my extremely dazed and out-of-it appearance is what caused her to say that - I had not committed any legal crimes before this, and I honestly do not know what overcame me. I can barely remember the entire incident clearly and was trying to remember to breathe and not faint when they were talking to me. Also, I was wondering if this incident and paying the fine would affect future employment opportunities for me/count as a criminal record when applying to graduate schools and such.
Many thanks in advance.


Retail Fraud / Shoplifting: Caught when Shoplifting for the First Time. Extremely Nervous and Regretful

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire