lundi 31 août 2015

Speeding Tickets: 3 Violations Need to Go to Officer's

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Indiana

I was stopped by an out of town officer. He told me he was working in this jurisdiction as part of an impaired driver "crackdown" program.

He initially told me that he stopped me (his attention was attracted) because my exhaust pipe was throwing up sparks (mufflers had fallen off and I had to tie the tailpipe to keep it from dragging). He wanted to see all my information and looked through a bottle of prescription pills in my purse, questioning me on why they were cut into pieces (legal prescription with split pills to save $$). It was a very "weird" traffic stop.

I received a ticket citing me for 44/30 (he did not mention speed until the end, when he was giving the ticket), driving without muffler(s) and no (proof of) financial responsibility. I was insured and can verify that.

I just learned that I am expected to go to the Court from which the officer works. I learned that officers may write tickets even out of their "formal" jurisdiction, but I expected that Court proceedings would be held where the infraction(s) occurred.


My question:


IN Code 33-33-7-8 states :The "X county" superior court has the following jurisdiction:
(1) Original, appellate, concurrent, and coextensive jurisdiction with the circuit court in all civil cases, criminal cases, and probate matters.
(2) Concurrent and coextensive jurisdiction with the circuit court in all cases of appeal from boards of county commissioners and all other appellate jurisdiction vested in the circuit court.
(3) Concurrent and coextensive jurisdiction in all matters of probate and the settlement of decedents' estates, trusts, and guardianships.
(4) Jurisdiction in all other subject matters actionable in the circuit court.
(5) Original exclusive jurisdiction of all violations of ordinances of cities located in the county.
(6) Original exclusive jurisdiction in the trial of offenses constituting violation of traffic ordinances of the cities and violations of traffic laws of the state that occur in any city of "X" County.
(7) Original jurisdiction of violations of traffic laws of the state that occur outside a city in "X" County.

Why am I therefore being required to handle this through the city court from which the officer works (which, yes, is in this county) when the alleged infractions took place here? Can I therefore just challenge that court's jurisdiction or am I lacking information?


Speeding Tickets: 3 Violations Need to Go to Officer's

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire