dimanche 30 août 2015

Computer Crime: Will This Charge Stick

I'm being charged with this:



What happened basically was I found an unused social networking site that allowed public posting without any posting limits. Then I wrote an application that would post again and again at maybe 10 posts a second. Anyway while that program was running I forgot about it and minimized it. After a day or two, after my internet was temporarily disabled by my ISP because of being reported, I noticed I still had it running and closed it.

The main thing that caught my attention about my charge is that it applies to when the action was committed without authorization. Since there was no security on the site, I was able to do something which I was given the access rights to do. That would seem like I had authorization. But there is nothing in our state statutes that define what "authorization" means. Based on the complaint I've read I'm not expecting there to be much of a disagreement on the facts of the event but instead interpretation of the law if this were to go to trial. Looking at what unauthorized access means on this site for example http://ift.tt/1X2sNkY makes it seem unclear in my case. I don't know if this law applies to me.


Computer Crime: Will This Charge Stick

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire