vendredi 28 août 2015

Division of Assets: What Risk Am I Under for an Extremely Short Term Marriage in Ma

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Massachusetts

Hi All,

Long story short, I made an enormous mistake getting married and want to pursue a divorce. We've only been married a month, and I am unable to continue in the relationship due to a long period of infidelity on her side.

My question is around the risk I face in regards to division of property. I own two properties totaling about 1.5M, along with savings/retirement funds/etc. in the ballpark of 250-300k or so. She is on the deed of one or two of her parents house (probably worth 500k) and probably has savings and retirement of around 20-30k.

I want to just walk away. I understand MA is an equitable distribution state, has anyone in MA dissolved a marriage in this timeframe? What was the result?

Will the courts generally try to get people back to how they were prior to marriage? I know there are no guarantees but I am looking for any anecdotal experiences. I am extremely concerned I am going to lose everything I have worked for because of actions I didn't know about prior to the marriage.

The lawyer I spoke to doesn't seem to think there is much of a risk, if any at all. I guess I just need a second opinion.


Division of Assets: What Risk Am I Under for an Extremely Short Term Marriage in Ma

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire