samedi 29 août 2015

Grounds for Eviction: Are These Squatters This is Bizarre - You Must Read

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: MN

Sorry for this long story, but I think it is pertinent for you to hear: I rented out my secondary home in March of this year to John XY and Jill XY (and there 2 kids) for a lease term of one year. Right after paying the first month rent, John stopped paying rent. When I reminded John that rent is overdue, he contacted some support organizations (that help low-income), who in turn cut a check for rental on his behalf. Unfortunately, this became on-going till month of July. For month of August, John asked to break the lease since he cannot afford and will be moving out, and will pay rent for August whenever he is able to. That is John, since moving-in everything has been non-commital from him. Within my heart I was happy to see John leaving because during his stay the exterior looked terrible, John never mowed lawn (which by lease he is obligated to) and I had to take care of it because city started issuing me warnings after warnings. So I was in heart happy for him to leave, and so I asked him to vacate ASAP. Now John showed his second face to me, and starts to pass statement that while he is not living there but he might not leave immediately ...as he has too much stuff inside the home. We set some dates, that John did not follow through and then John totally dissappeared for a whole week. I feared my home abandoned and went to take a look of my house from inside. To my shock, the home was ransacked, holes in the walls, broken doors and windows, human and animal feces lying, marijuana or some kind of smoking smell, and 2 beds in EVERY room, INCLUDING basement (where living is specifically not permitted per lease). Realizing my home is totally trashed and is being used as hostel by many many families, I further learnt that John has been re-renting to families and collecting rent from them (apparently they all seem his relatives, and some of them estranged relatives) - ironically the rent he has been collecting he never passed on to me, and to pay me, he has been getting various organizations to cut checks to me (well till July at least ... it seems that ploy stopped working). And I suspect that John is in some pickle as well, he wants to leave but he has no control over the families that are living in the home right now.

Realizing the situation, I immediately filed an expedited unlawful detainer (to my best capability - which by the way aren't too great. I put the reason violation of lease, sub renting, destruction of property etc) and put the names of John XY, Jill XY, John Doe and Jane Doe (the unknown people). After that, I called the police to get some advice. The Deputy Sheriff told me that I can call in to city police for criminal trespassing and maybe the city police can throw them out. I did that, and when police came, unfortunately the home was empty. They told me to change the locks. I verified from them few times and in fact I told them that while I can do that for these unknown John Doe and Jane Doe, but I will be letting John XY and Jill XY know so they can get new keys. The police left, and as I was removing the locks (for re-keying), John Doe and Jane Doe and there many kids show up on front door and John Doe start aggresively confronting me - and using highly inappropriate language (like you f##ker suck my $ick and shut the $uck out and start watching yourself out now ...I think they were stoned or drugged and implicitly trying to make me afraid). I immediately called police - the same police, however after talking to John Doe and Jane Doe (who showed them one piece of mail in their name), the police now rather turns on me, and asks me to put the locks back. I seem stunned, questioned police, that it was you that asked me to do all this, to which police replied, 'and now we are asking you to put them back on' and to leave the families alone and contact Sherriff or Housing dept. I complied and left John Doe and Jane Doe and their entourage in the home.

So this is my story, please comment on what I did right or wrong, and feel free to be candid, I would rather hear the harsh truth and as a consequence be better prepared when the trial starts. Any tips you have, steps I need to take, I must take, or steps I need to watch, please advice. This is the first time, I am doing this, I am a recent college nerd who is out on his own, and I know too little of the world out ... this seemed too bizarre to me, I am in considerable shock at moment.

FYI: During short inspection of home, I discovered some names of the individuals, also that: a) John Doe has a currently suspended DL, b) John Doe has been convicted of a felony - a robbery, c) John Doe has been convicted of selling drugs. I dont know how this info is of any help to me. To my surprise police (that should have been interested in it) that came to my house were not interested in listening to me on it.


Grounds for Eviction: Are These Squatters This is Bizarre - You Must Read

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire