lundi 31 juillet 2017

Theft and Larceny: Can You Be Charged With Theft of an Item Taken By a House Guest

My question involves criminal law for the state of:

I live in VA. I was recently contacted by an online retailer that specialize in custom computers. I had recently done business with them and received my computer after it was sent back in for repairs. This was approx. 1 1/2 months ago. They recently sent me an email claiming that their records indicate that they have incorrectly fedexed me someone else computer after it was repaired. They indicate that it was sent to my address and signed for. I have not signed for any package other than mine. They have yet to tell me when their records indicate it was delivered and signed for. I have been traveling a lot in the last 2 months, and believe it may have been received by a person i was renting a room to via a verbal contract. When i got back from a weekend trip recently, i kicked them out due to the condition of my home. My concern is if this person signed for the package and took it, am or can i be held liable for the missing computer? If they were to push the matter could they "prove" that i somehow am the culprit even though i don't have it in my possession nor did i sign for it? I'm just trying to figure out how i can protect myself and my family from any type of legal action be it civil or criminal.

To clarify all i know about the person i rented the room to their name and a number they gave me that apparently inst theirs, when i tried to call them. They paid in cash. I understand it was a poor decision to allow someone to rent a room with more personal info or really knowing them first. so please withhold judgment and comments on the level of stupidity that took, i am now the wise for it.


Theft and Larceny: Can You Be Charged With Theft of an Item Taken By a House Guest

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire