samedi 29 juillet 2017

Roommates: Do I Have Any Legal Right to Ask My Roommate to Leave

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I wanted to ask for your kind help.

A friend moved in to my apartment and became a roommate in April 2017.

Unfortunately, we are not getting along and, if possible, I want to ask him to leave sometime within the next 60 days (instead of 30 days so that he has enough time to find a suitable place).

The original Lease/Rental Agreement is in my name since I’ve been living there for over 20 years.

The lease is currently a month-to-month lease.

However, my roommate signed an Addendum to the Lease in April.

The Addendum states that as an “Incoming Tenant” and authorized occupant, my roommate accepts all legal obligations pursuant to the original lease/rental agreement and the addendum.

The Addendum also mentions that all legal rights pursuant to the Rental Agreement are assigned to the replacement tenant.

In light of the terms of the Addendum, do I have the right to ask my roommate to leave?

Since I have been living at the apartment for over 20 years and I’m happy there, I do not want to move out and, if possible, I want to stay at the place. So I want to see if I can ask my roommate to leave.

Any advice or guidance would be deeply appreciated! Thank you!


Roommates: Do I Have Any Legal Right to Ask My Roommate to Leave

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire