mardi 25 avril 2017

Suspension and Revocation: California License Suspended 4.5 Years After Violation Date

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: California

I received a notice today about an impending license suspension set for 5/26/2017. Apparently, I got an FTA (failure to appear) for a violation on 9/3/2012 regarding a failure to notify the DMV of an address change. This was a $25 fine and requirement to appear at the DMV and update my address. I was initially pretty angry because I had no reason to believe that there was any kind of warrant out on me. I've been renewing my vehicle registration every year since then and have received no notices that I failed to appear in court or any indication whatsoever that this was an active issue on my record. I even renewed the driver's license in December 2013.

I looked through my records and did find the citation from 9/3/2012 along with a mailed notice with a payment due date of 10/29/2012. I scribbled "extended to 11/28/2012" on the letter and I'm guessing that's where I left things, as I do not have any further paperwork.

So now, 4.5 years later, they tell me my license will be suspended. The letter indicates I need to contact the court, presumably to finally show up and pay the fine. My questions:

-The big one is can they suspend a license over 4 years after the violation date? Again, nothing indicated that I had this was stuck to my record.
-Do fines in these scenarios continue to escalate and can I expect some ridiculously high fine that must be paid to be in the clear?
-Would clearing things with the court prevent the suspension on 5/26, or is it going to happen no matter what?

I'm quite low on funds so my options are limited. Thanks for your help.


Suspension and Revocation: California License Suspended 4.5 Years After Violation Date

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire