samedi 29 avril 2017

Interstate Issues: What Can I Expect at Child Custody Hearing if One Parent Lives Out of State

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Oklahoma

I have filed a petition to establish custody and visitation here in my state of Oklahoma. The father lives in North Carolina, but I don't know exactly where he lives; I only have his mother's South Carolina (SC) address. I have a court date at the end of May and would like to know what to expect. There is currently no custody order or visitation schedule in place for our child, and the father is on the birth certificate. I am seeking sole legal and physical custody of the child, because I have been a single mother for almost 2 years since I left the child's father.
We have a stable life here. I currently live with my parents and have a full time job, and help with the bills and am also saving for my own place and paying off student loans. My family supports me by helping watch my son while I'm at work, usually no more than an hour or two a day. My son does not appear to be negatively affected by his father's absence, but seeing as how he has special needs and is nonverbal, I can't say for 100% certainty that it has affected him. He has a great male role model in his grandfather (my dad). I previously lived together with my son's father for 4 years in SC, but after many years of abuse that culminated in sexual assault, I filed a police report and was granted temporary custody of our son and a protective order, both of which expired in 2015.
The father has had no contact with me or our child since March 2016, after he physically threatened in some text messages that he sent to me, ironically after learning that I'd warned his fiance about how dangerous and volatile he is. I filed another police report here in Oklahoma and tried to get a restraining order, but my request was denied. I've since then changed my number and cut off all communication with him (through Facebook or social media), and only keep in contact with the father through his mother (child's paternal grandmother). We've communicated twice in this manner regarding child support, which has been sporadic and rare. Because of the relational history between me and the father, I'm asking for supervised visitation as well. (I have no problem at all with the father having visitation, although I would prefer that it be supervised at first, and that there be an unbiased third party mediator between the father and I. I'd even be fine with joint shared custody if the father and I lived in the same state.)
The summons states that the father may send a written statement to me and the judge regarding what he wants for custody and visitation. What can I expect at the court hearing? What should I be prepared for? What kind of questions might the judge ask? I'm very nervous, but I believe that I have a good chance at being granted what I'm asking for.

Thanks!


Interstate Issues: What Can I Expect at Child Custody Hearing if One Parent Lives Out of State

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire