dimanche 30 avril 2017

How Much of This Lease is Actually Legally Binding

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington, but not Seattle.

This question is a copy of the text I posted at the stack exchange law sub-site. Please excuse the brief (and censored) examples of profanity.

I'll start by saying that the situation isn't ideal. It's an efficiency apartment in the basement of my girlfriend's co-workers house. Prior to us living there the space was used as an office/work space for a dog grooming business (there is a very small bedroom, bathroom, shower and another room kept constantly locked because they're growing marijuana in it, supposedly legally.) We are not allowed to have anything in the main entry way because they still come down frequently to tend their marijuana plants and occasionally wash dogs. The lease is for a set duration of time (through the end of July).

They did not provide us with a copy of the lease agreement, although we asked, and my understanding is that any part of a lease that violates tenant law is unenforceable.

From memory, I recall the lease stating that they may enter the unit whenever they wish with or without notice, and that although they are permitting us to have our 2 cats, in situations where they need to use the unit for dog washing, the cats are to be confined to the small bedroom. Also that they may, at any point, with or without cause, terminate the lease, at which point we must vacate within 5 days.

The "landlord" isn't exactly the nicest of people, and our ceiling/their floor is extremely thin, so every small noise from the main house is heard in our living area, yet we're expected to stay extremely quiet. We constantly hear him shouting and swearing at his young (10 or 11 year old) son and his two large dogs sound like elephants walking around above us.

To put the icing on the cake, today I came home and was immediately greeted with anger because I left the bedroom door open for the cats and they needed to wash a dog, something they told me they were going to do yesterday. While I was trying to apologize for the misunderstanding, the landlord lost his temper, swearing and shouting at me to "shut my f***** mouth", then proceeded to come at me with his hands balled into fists and threaten to " knock my b**** a** out " and ended by telling me that I needed to "get the f*** out, but my girlfriend could stay". Through all of this, I was denied entry to my living area because the landlord's girlfriend was washing a large and unfriendly dog. I was forced to either leave the property, or wait in the back yard where the landlord kept coming back out to.

I'm very sorry for the long winded post. I will update once I get a copy of the lease that we didn't have a choice but to sign, for fear of not having a place to live. What I really want to know is how much of this is cause for me to go for a legal approach? As far as the growing marijuana, this is Washington and he claims that he has his medical growing license, but also consistently demonstrates fear of drawing attention to the house, the reason he gives is that he's growing pot.


How Much of This Lease is Actually Legally Binding

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire