lundi 28 septembre 2015

Retail Fraud / Shoplifting: Contacted for Payment After Failing to Pay a Civil Demand

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maryland

I know a similar question was asked about this, because i did a little research and this forum came up in my google search, but my case is slightly different.

A few months ago, specifically July 1st, 2015, I was caught shoplifting at JCPenney. The items I attempted to steal were worth a total amount of $106. An employee told me to come back to the store as I was walking towards my car, and I went to a back room. They took my information, a picture, and the police were called in, so I guess it was technically an arrest? Anyways, they let me go without a citation, or banning me from the store or the mall or anything.

As soon as I got home, I did research on what was going to happen, and a different online lawyer site told me that I would receive a letter demanding double the cost of the stolen merchandise, which I did, and that I SHOULD NOT pay it. So I didn't pay it, and I received another one until I left for college, and then another one after I was gone. Thats when my parents found out (they were surprisingly forgiving, thank god) and I told my mom that all the online lawyer sites I searched said not to pay the demand, so she didn't.

I got a call last week from the firm that represents JCPenney telling me I had to pay them $212 by the 30th of September. The lady told me I should pay whatever I can and they would set me up on some sort of plan to pay the rest over time since I'm a broke college student and thats why I tried to steal stuff in the first place. :wallbang:

here comes the questions:
1. should I pay the demand? I saw on the other, similar post on here that I SHOULD pay the fine, and other sites said I should NOT, so I'm confused on what to do.
2. If I don't pay the demand, what are the chances of me going to court, and how bad will that get? will it stay on my permanent records? in detail please
3. If I do pay the demand, will the shoplifting incident stay on my permanent records? will I lose my scholarships? will the incident follow me for the rest of my life?


Retail Fraud / Shoplifting: Contacted for Payment After Failing to Pay a Civil Demand

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire