mercredi 30 septembre 2015

Disestablishing Paternity: Does Her Biological Father Have Any Rights

My question involves paternity law for the State of: New York

I have a 5-year-old that the father has never seen, he is not on the birth certificate, never took him to court so no established paternity or child support. My daughter has my last name. When the father and I were together he became very threatening which was only made worse when we discovered I was pregnant. About 6 months pregnant, I ended the relationship, he began calling repeatedly leaving threatening messages (ex: "I hope you shoot yourself in the head"). Unfortunately, I didn't save any of the voice messages but I do have a few emails that he'd sent me and also I never got the police involved.

On to the present, I have been dating a man for 3 years and we are planning on getting married next year; both he and I want him to adopt my daughter. My question is: Does her biological father have any rights to my daughter? If so, what are they? Is there anything I can do to terminate his rights? Also, do you think my fiancee would be able to adopt her?

I am worried about going through with any courts (although I know I have to) in fear that all of that he will start up again with the calls and emails. I do NOT want to expose my daughter to anything like that.

Any advice is deeply appreciated.


Disestablishing Paternity: Does Her Biological Father Have Any Rights

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire