lundi 28 septembre 2015

Repair and Maintenance: Does Your Landlord Have to Repay the Cost of Lock Repair

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York

I lost my key and on Sunday, I had to get a new lock put in. I knew it was going to be pricey - the lease contract that I signed said something around the cost of $200-$300 for a lockout. When I tried calling the 24 hour number that management provided me with, no one answered. I later found out that the number that management provided me was incorrect and have an email as proof. I then called the number written on the doorknob of my apartment that said something along the lines of, if locked out, call this number. This is posted on many people’s doorknobs and it looks official. The person on the phone told me that the price would vary depending on the type of lock that needed to be replaced. When they came, they quoted me around $250. This sounded along the lines of the price per the contract, so I didn't question it. As the locksmith was trying to get into my door, he was unsuccessful. He called someone else to come over and help out and they said that the door's lock was broken and as a result, it would cost an additional $600 for them to replace the entire thing. He said not to worry, that the apartment's property management would cover that cost because the $600 was related to the door being broken. After speaking with Management, they told me that this was not the correct phone number to call to get my locks fixed and that someone just came and put that on my door and it was unrelated to them. I think it is ridiculous that I followed proper protocol, called the 24 hour number which was wrong per management and only then did I proceed to call the phone number written on the door knob. I believe that I am entitled to $600 related to the broken lock. Any thoughts on this?


Repair and Maintenance: Does Your Landlord Have to Repay the Cost of Lock Repair

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire