lundi 25 juin 2018

How to Prevent Abusive Parents from Accessing School Records

Demographic/Geographic info: located in suburban Missouri. My high school is a public one, part of a K-12 district. I'm also planning to attend a four-year university after high school.

Hey there everyone.

I turn 18 in a little less than a month. I've grown up in an emotionally/psychologically and physically abusive home for my entire life, something that is well-documented by numerous mental health professionals and my school's social worker/crisis interventionist. I'm working on putting together my escape/exit plan, and hope to be out of my home by the end of August 2018 (I have steady employment, and am doing well in school- I essentially raised myself). Not only do I plan on leaving my abusive home soon after reaching the age of majority, but I also do not want my abusive mother to have any access to my school or medical records whatsoever after I am gone from the home & am of legal age.

This school year, I'll be a senior in high school, and will be 18 before starting the academic year. In MO, you're typically 17 or 18 as a senior, so there are a fair amount of 18 year old seniors- though the majority of them have normal relationships with their parents and live under the same roof, thus making "who has access to my records" not an issue in most students' daily lives.

I'm somewhat familiar with the process of transferring the 'ownership', per se, of medical records from parent to child upon turning 18, and it largely seems more simplified (once child turns 18, is considered a legal adult and thus in control) when compared to school records.

Legally, I know that I have the right upon turning 18 to be the sole accessor of my academic records, but how exactly do I go about the process of officially barring my birthgivers from being able to pull my records, having access to InfiniteCampus (our online grade portal), having access to report cards, etc?

I've done a bit of digging into the ins-and-outs of FERPA, and have some knowledge regarding independent vs. dependent status in regards to the parent-child relationship. When I file for FAFSA later this year, I'll be eligible to file as independent- perhaps FERPA operates in the same manner, i.e. independent status = parents are not considered in the equation. (Please, of course, correct me if I'm wrong here.)

I've looked far and wide through my school district's website and manuals in a search for info on this specific situation, but haven't found anything. I know that this is probably more of an issue that I should take up with my school's administration in specific, but I want to ensure that I know the legal rights that I have to academic privacy.
Please feel free to ask questions if you need more info in order to find a solution/recommendation. Anything and everything helps.


How to Prevent Abusive Parents from Accessing School Records

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire