samedi 30 juin 2018

Construction Contracts: Contractor Performed Work That Was Not Authorized

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

Background
I'm having a problem with my septic system and have had a contractor at my house for the past week. He never provided me a contract but verbally quoted me prices. Things started fine and I paid him for some early work. However, red flags were raised when he delayed fixing the system by performing non-essential work before getting the system back online. I was partially to blame in the first instance because I verbally authorized the work and just assumed he would do it after getting the system back online. I will, of course, pay for this because I authorized it but i determined to be more cautious going forward.

Problem
Last Thursday the contractor recommended another $1800 of non-essential work. We discussed the options including do nothing and an $800 alternative. Not only was this work non-essential but I was not even sure it was an improvement and decided in my mind that I would get a second opinion before making a decision. I clearly instructed him to not perform the work but to finish diagnosing the system. To make the point clear, I went on to state that I don't want to throw good money after bad and am looking into connecting the city sewer as an alternative.

On Friday he performed the $1800 job without authorization.

Question
According to my calculations there is about $2000 of work I verbally authorized and he performed but has not yet been paid for. There may be additional work that he performed that I did not explicitly authorize. I don't know if he ever completed the work to get the system functioning and he never quoted me any prices for fixing the essential problem because he never fully diagnosed it - or at least he did not discuss it with me.

What are my legal options?


Construction Contracts: Contractor Performed Work That Was Not Authorized

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire