dimanche 31 juillet 2016

Title Ownership: Anyone. Someone is Threatening to Sue Us Over a Car We Sold to Relative

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: NEBRASKA

Hello all. Let me summarize as briefly as possible. We had a '92 accord titled, registered, etc. Last year, my wife's sister was planning on moving to NC and asked us to sell it to her. We crated a hand written bill of sale and gave her sister the title (knowing her sister was untrustworthy - but we were trying to help). Anyways my wife did all of this but the DMV here in NE told her sister to wait to register it until they got to NC so she wouldn't have to pay 2 registration fees. A week later her sister moved to NC, leaving the car parked here in NE - never registering it like she was suppose to!

We thought all was done until today (1 year later) someone showed up at my house saying they were going to sue us because they bought the car. This guy, Tom says my wifes sister "sold/traded" it to another guy to get money and this guy sold it to Tom. Tom doesn't know either of them and has been waiting for a month for the title from one of them and no response.

He did a DMV lookup (i saw the printout) and the only name listed was my wifes! My wife says she went to the DMV and signed over the title but according to this paper it never happened or she did it wrong!

Our plan is to just go to the DMV pay for a new title (which we should be able to if it's only in my wife's name) then give this Tom guy the title and hope it will be done with.

My questions are:

1) What if my wife's sister tries to "sell" the car again? She has a handwritten bill of sale and the title, will they still be valid?
2) What if Tom is lying? I doubt it but what steps should i take. Should I sell it to him for $1 or just sign it over?
3) Why would my wifes name be the only one listed if they went to the DMV and did a title change? Is it not valid until its registered or what?
4) Will we have to pay back registration if we try and get a new title?
5) I edited this post - what does "ALTERED" title mean (see below)?


Who technically owns this car? We don't want it we just don't want Tom, my sister-in-law, or this 3rd guy to be able to sue us later down the line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm trying not to blame my wife for being kind hearted but we obviously messed up somewhere.

Please help, and if you need anymore detail - I'll gladly provide it.

Thanks again.

P.S. Not that you couldn't tell but my wife sister is nearly impossible to reach so getting anything done by here is not likely

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a note i just looked up the VIN at http://ift.tt/2aHa5B7

and it says:

Type ORIGINAL

Acquired
07/18/2013
Issued
07/18/2013
*THIS IS WHEN WE BOUGHT IT FROM MY WIFES DECEASED GRANDMOTHER?

Altered
09/23/2015
*THIS IS WHEN WE THOUGHT WE TRANSFERRED IT? NOT SURE WHAT ALTERED MEANS?

LIEN: No Lien Information


Title Ownership: Anyone. Someone is Threatening to Sue Us Over a Car We Sold to Relative

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire