vendredi 29 juillet 2016

Emancipation: Am I Eligible for Emancipation in Virginia

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Virginia

I am sixteen years old, and I am interested in becoming emancipated. I live with my mother, who is currently battling breast cancer. I love her, but over the past year or so, our relationship has becomed strained. We rely on government checks and have been for six years, since my father passed away.

My mother has been squandering what little money we have, as well as not allowing me to get a job or my learner's permit, which I've been able to get for a year now. Because I'm not allowed to, I have no means of actually supporting myself if I do live on my own, other than the government money that is in my name that I will receive until I am 18. I do have people who will take me in though, but my mother will not give me permission to live with them.

While I don't wish to become emancipated, I feel I have no other option. My mother takes advantage of her condition to get what she wants. She refuses to budget our income (which is technically all mine because her checks ended when I turned 16). She has free housing, and she's in the process of applying for disability, so she wouldn't be disadvantaged if I left. I'm a rising junior in high school, and I will graduate. I believe I am mature enough to make my own decisions for every aspect of my life.

I know this may not seem very adequate grounds to become emancipated, but all the research I've done has left me very confused and uncertain on Virginia's laws. I know the three reasons to file for it, but I am unsure if Virginia allows emancipation by court order.


Emancipation: Am I Eligible for Emancipation in Virginia

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire