dimanche 31 juillet 2016

Drug Possession: Marijuana < 2oz (Half of a Gram)

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

I was arrested last October while driving to Houston for possession of marijuana < 2oz. I was pulled over in Gonzales county for a "dim license plate light". The officer approached my vehicle and made small talk with me because it turns out he graduated from the college I currently attend. I had a key chain hanging in my car from San Francisco that had a pot leaf emblem in the middle of it. Once the officer saw the key chain the small talk stopped and he asked me to step out of the car, which I did. He then asked if I smoked pot and I said yes, but explained that I wasn't high at the time. He then asked me if I had any, and again I said yes. I explained I had less than a gram in a glass jar in a laptop case in the back seat of my car and gave him consent to search. I was arrested and taken to jail. On July 11th I took a plea deal for 1 year of deferred adjudication. The prosecutor wanted to put me in jail for 6 months and fine me $2,000. A few facts about me and who I am: I graduated high school in the top 8% and am pursuing a degree in computer science at the college I attend with a minor in Business management and mathematics(double minoring for some reason). I have an overall GPA of a 3.5 and in the spring of 2016 I received a 4.0 and Dean's List recognition. I also am a starter on my school's lacrosse team which won the championship my freshman year, and unfortunately lost in the championship game this past year. None of this is to brag or boast or be any type of evidence suggesting I don't deserve the punishment I received. I have come to term with the fact that I broke the law and no matter who or what you are that isn't right. I also pay for my own college via loans/scholarships and hold a serving job at a large company(you've probably eaten at this restaurant). I am curious if there is anyway to get off deferred adjudication early and what steps may be necessary. I intend to continue playing lacrosse, be a full time student, and work at the restaurant while I remain in college. My life has been turned upside down by this, I have reached a level of depression I have never felt, not even when my mom died because at least then I had a future and I could still do anything I want...now all I am to anybody is a criminal. I want to be fully free again without someone watching over my shoulder all the time. I haven't met my PO yet but the first thing I intend to do is establish a good relationship with him/her. If anyone has any advice for me on how to get through probation or have it dismissed early I would greatly appreciate it. I hope you all have a great day!!


Drug Possession: Marijuana < 2oz (Half of a Gram)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire