vendredi 29 avril 2016

Modification of Custody: Can an 18 Year Old Be Given Custody

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Florida

Hi, my father is severely ill in the hospital right now, and being moved to a long-term care facility soon. He has been sick for a long time (2-3 years, though it just got really really bad) and has denied long-term care before so he could come home and take care of his kids. It's been about 3 weeks since he was admitted into the hospital, and already my grandmother is talking about giving custody to my mother, despite being told that he will eventually be able to come home on his own.

My problem is that my mother is not the best place for us. I don't want to go into too many details, and none of it involves outright child abuse (nothing the court would really disapprove of) but I know that she is not going to be a good parent for my siblings. She rarely pays attention to her children and seems to regard us more as fun dolls then as things she has to take care of. I don't want my siblings growing up in an environment like that, and they don't fully understand because they've never had to really stay with her long-term.

I will be turning 18 next month, and I know I can handle caring for them, as I've been doing it on my own ever since my dad got severely sick. I know my father will leave the hospital over all of this, and I desperately don't want him to, so we need insurance on the kids staying right where they're at. Is there any way he can sign over his parental rights/custody (and possibly power of attorney) to me instead? And if he does, do we have to get it approved by a judge?


Modification of Custody: Can an 18 Year Old Be Given Custody

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire