mardi 26 avril 2016

Disputing Debts: Parking Ticket in My Apartment Parking Lot. Options

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Washington.

Hi Expertlaw!

I read through the threads and did not find one that approximated my situation. I apologize if I missed a relevant thread, or if I posted this in the incorrect forum. If I failed in these ways or others, please do advise and I will do my best to correct my errors.

Here is my tale:

I received a parking ticket some time ago for parking in my apartment's parking lot from a patrol company that my apartment building contracted with to patrol the property. The ticket is designed to look like a legit ticket from the city, and includes info about the total cost of the fine, a time period during which I must respond, and so on.

I pay for the spot in which I parked. My apartment issues generic dangle permits that we are told to hang from our mirrors. Recently, I bought a new car, and lost the old dangle permit. When I asked my apartment manager for a new one he said, "Ah, no need man. Don't worry about it. The company that patrols our parking lot wouldn't give you a ticket or tow you unless you called to complain that someone was in your spot." Sadly, I did not ask for this statement to be put in writing. I trusted my apartment manager instead.

Of course, when the company that patrols our lot gave me the ticket, my apartment manager lost all memory of his guarantee. He did call the patrol company on my behalf, but the patrol company said that they would not retract my fine. They took a photo of my car in the spot without the dangle, although I do not think they have one photo that documents both the slot I parked in and the absent dangle permit.

There are signs in the parking lot that detail the fines associated with parking there. That said, I have never signed any document that says that I agree to pay a fine if I fail to hang my dangle permit. My lease does not mention parking permits either.

As a result, I figured that I could call the company, explain that I owe them no debt, and leave it at that. After calling and leaving a message, I did not hear from the company until just a few days ago. They claim that I never responded to the original ticket, and direct me to pay. I could track down the date and tim eof my call using my phone carrier's records.

I hope that I included all relevant details. What does the forum think my options are here?

Best wishes,

Peeved Parker


Disputing Debts: Parking Ticket in My Apartment Parking Lot. Options

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire