mercredi 27 avril 2016

Guardianship: Juvenile Guardianship Legal Responsibilities

My question involves a person located in the state of: Mississippi

My granddaughter and grandson live in Vicksburg, MS, and have been placed by the Juvenile Court into guardianship situations in September 2015 after a CPS visit to the home. My granddaughter had been good friends with the guardian's daughter, a classmate. My grandson was placed in a best friend's home. As background, their mother, my daughter, passed away suddenly in 2005 from toxic shock syndrome, and dad had been caring for the kids since then.


I am curious as to the financial responsibility for my granddaughter's and grandson's medical needs while they are under guardianship.

As background, the children's father does not pay any support. My grandson is with a family that takes care of his medical and dental needs, and is a wonderful community-oriented family. My granddaughter, on the other hand, is apparently not so fortunate. My granddaughter is complaining of a toothache that she was told requires a root canal. The guardian has told her that they can't afford to pay for the procedure. Since then, she has become physically ill and has terrible headaches. A friend's mother gave my granddaughter some numbing gel to put on the tooth. As a side note, my granddaughter told me at the time she was placed in the guardian's home that she was going to take her to the dentist for braces, but this has not happened.

The children receive $100, or so, monthly from SSI. Am I, as their maternal grandmother, entitled to view any court Orders that were issued by the judge in Youth Court during the court hearing in September 2015? Are my granddaughter and grandson entitled to view any Orders pertaining to their placement? My granddaughter turned 17 a week ago. As a side note, no birthday gifts or celebration from dad or guardian. My grandson turns 18 on May 1.

Can the children be assigned a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) to represent their legal rights and/or petition the court for dad to pay for their medical/dental expenses? Currently, dad does not financially assist the children; he barely speaks to his children. Dad is employed and makes a pretty good living. He also receives disability payments due to an injury to his knee while in the Marine Corps.

I'd appreciate any information/guidance. Thank you!


Guardianship: Juvenile Guardianship Legal Responsibilities

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire