jeudi 28 janvier 2016

Hours: Treating Hourly Employees Like on Call Employees

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Mississippi

Looking for advice on a current situation at work. I work at a warehouse in the supply chain of a major nationwide retail operation. My manager doesn't post a weekly work schedule. He usually texts everyone in my department anywhere from 5-8 pm in the evening telling us what time to be at work. We usually have to go to work at 4 or 5 in the morning. About once a month he'll text us in the evening to be at work at 4 or 5 am and then about 30 minutes before our shift starts he texts everyone and says that everyone is off work for the day.

One issue is that if we have to be at work at 4 am, I have to get up at 2:00-2:30 am to be there on time. If he texts us at 8 pm, that doesn't leave much time for sleep. Not to mention, IMO he shouldn't be contacting employees daily on their personal time. I could see if there was some kind of emergency or fluke like, the building was on fire. But it seems like he's treating us like we're "on call" or something.

The second and main issue though is that most of us live 20-40 minutes drive away from work. If he texts us to come to work at 5am and I get up at 3:15 am, get ready for work, and leave at 4:15 and arrive at work at 4:50. Then a few minutes later when I go to clock in, the manager says that he texted everyone not to come to work. I look at my phone and he sent a text at 4:30. I'm half way to work at 4:30.

So if he tells me to be at work at 5am and I show up to work at 5am, do they have to pay me some sort of minimum hourly wage?

If not, is there some kind of minimum notice that he should be required to give. Getting up at 3am, getting ready for work, driving an hour round trip, wasting my gas, and wasting my time after being told to come to work at a certain time the night before, then being paid nothing really sucks. This could be wrong, but have heard that if you show up for work that an employer has to pay you a certain amount of hours. Also, sometimes he'll text us the night before to come in at say 5am and then at 4:30(again, when I'm already half way to work)send a text saying to come in at 6am. So I'm stuck sitting there for an hour not being paid.

I'm not sure if there are any laws that prohibit this kind of practice. However, even if not, it seems highly unprofessional, unethical, and poor management and treatment of employees. Should I report this to the corporate employee hotline? If so, should I do it anonymously, even though they will probably know who reported it? How would you guys proceed in this situation?


Hours: Treating Hourly Employees Like on Call Employees

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire