dimanche 31 janvier 2016

Disability Benefits: What Happens if Your Representative Payee Becomes Unable to Serve

I'm on Social Security Disability (not SSI) and from the start, they set up my uncle as my rep. payee. He's 85, in seemingly good health, but you never know. Over the years, we've established a routine with my benefits and it works well. Except that I depend on my "weekly allowance" to pay my bills, buy food, etc. I am usually very much week to week, so one missed "allowance" and I could be in serious trouble.

My benefits are direct deposited to a checking account he maintains, and I have no access to it. He deposits my allowance into my personal checking every week.

I was reading about becoming my own payee, but my doctor of 20 years just retired and shut down his practice, so I can't get a letter from him. Also, I don't want to trigger a review because at this moment, I'm very....fragile. Just talking with an unknown person could send me over the edge, and I'm working so hard to remain as stable as possible until I find a new doctor. (Obviously this is psychiatric.)

So I have several questions and am open to hearing any suggestions. I don't have anyone else to be payee. I have no other family and no friends.

1. What do I do if he becomes unable or dies? Is there a way I could have joint access to that bank account? Or set something up to allow my access if something should happen to him?
2. Should I set up one of these professional payees? Do they charge a fee, and would they just keep it going as my uncle and I have it set? (Utilities are auto withdrawn from the payee account, and I get most of the rest in my allowance, which I use for other bills and food...he tries to keep a little back as savings, but I honestly don't know the details.) I really can't afford another bill, such as a payee fee.

3. Any other ideas? Even though he's in good health, I worry.

Thanks for any help/ideas.


Disability Benefits: What Happens if Your Representative Payee Becomes Unable to Serve

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire