jeudi 28 janvier 2016

Assault & Battery: Threatening Somebody With a Knife

This happened in Canada where the legal drinking age is 19. Just looking for some broad details of what the US laws are in this situation:

So the other night my buddy and I were out drinking on my 19th birthday. When the bar was on last call a 50 year old man came over and asked if we wanted to go back to his place to keep the night going "I have a fridge full of 48 beers boys" is exactly what he said. Being young and dumb we took him up on his offer. Once we arrived back at his apartment it was very small and had little furnishing my friend and myself begin to worry this wasn't the best decision. This really settled in when he started making ludicrous comments like "I could kill you now, throw you in a ditch and no one would ever know." He said this multiple times, maybe he meant this as a joke but to myself and my friend it didn't seem like a very funny one. Later on after a few more drinks my friend and him started talking about each others mothers and how they had a rough childhood. He then invited my friend into his bedroom to continue the conversation in a more "private" environment. This set red flags off with me as my friend was probably too drunk to realize what was happening. Immediately I grabbed my jacket and felt for my money when my friend in him were in the other room. I found my money was gone missing. I felt like he wouldn't be able to leave the apartment willingly so I grabbed a knife and said "friend come out here this guy stole my money and trying to get on you. Where is my money?" He started to walk toward me. "I said back up, I'm leaving and I think you should leave too" to my friend. We ran to the nearest place possible, I left without shoes and dropped the knife. When we got to an establishment my friend realized his wallet was gone. We called the police to report the incident. Gave them all this information. I realized the next day that my money had fallen down a hole in my jacket pocket. The police called and say this guy could press charges.

So my question is: Can I go to jail for this even though I thought I was endangered and my life was threatened? Is my best defence my friend and my testimony saying he could kill us throw us in a ditch? What do you reckon will become of this?


Assault & Battery: Threatening Somebody With a Knife

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire