dimanche 31 janvier 2016

Determination of Fault: Bad Directions from Friend Backing Out of Driveway

A couple months ago, I went to a house party with college friends of mine. I'd never been to the house before and it was raining that night, so I parked in the driveway. I came in and asked if it was okay to park there, and the host, who lives there with some roommates, said that I could. Later that night, I had to leave because I had responsibilities in the morning, but one of the roommates came home and blocked me in with his car. We didn't want to wake him up, even though that's what we ended up having to do. I had JUST enough room to get out, but I definitely needed help. The host who helped me was pretty tipsy, while I had waited two hours to be sober, and he slowly backed me into his roommate's car. We've been trying to settle this without insurance, since I can't afford my rates going up, and things have been pretty cordial. I've been asked to pay $600 out of pocket, which is the estimate to pay for the scratch that was made. I made the critical mistake of agreeing to pay $300 up front, and maybe the rest in sporadic $50 increments, which I'd wager is pretty much admitting fault? I'm wondering if I'm actually fully at fault because I was the one driving, or if my friend is legally obligated to pick up some of the slack. I've already sent the roommate $150. I'm also wondering what they could do if I were to refuse to pay the rest or simply pay $300, with them knowing only my name, the fact we go to the same college, and the texts we've exchanged. We haven't reported anything to the police or the insurance companies, and we'd prefer to keep it that way.


Determination of Fault: Bad Directions from Friend Backing Out of Driveway

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire