mercredi 27 janvier 2016

Adverse Possession: Squatter Getting Help from Neighbors

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Pennsylvania

As a follow up to my previous post (http://ift.tt/1KFXeVS), I began the ejection process by filing an ejection complaint against my squatter when I discovered her on the day I made settlement. Basically, she pulled a fast by making me think she left and re-appeared after settlement. Ultimately my fault, I know. According to the Philadelphia Records Department personnel, 9 out of 10 ejection complaints go uncontested and the squatter is ejected by the local sheriff in roughly 30 days. My luck being the way it is, my squatter filed a response in the form of a "Petition to Proceed in Forma Pauperis." As it turns out, she had help filling out the proper paper work from her next-door neighbors, who she befriended. Also, I found out that the squatter had been receiving help in the form of food, water (Property hasn't had running water since 2013), and legal advice from the next door neighbors as well. The free water has been leaking into my property via broken drains and a cracked sewer line causing further issues with mold and water damage.

To put this quickly into perspective, the next-door couple who moved onto the block less than a year ago, are helping this squatter. The squatter is a 50 year-old woman who has had raised hell on this block and is hated by all the other neighbors for her past prostitution/drug history/abusive and crazy personality. Basically, the other neighbors are afraid of a confrontation with the squatter because she is a junkie-nut who has a history of attacking people at the slightest provocation and may or may not have some infectious diseases. She even has a piece of a needle stuck in her neck from shooting dope into it and it breaking-off. The house is a total gut-job and I planned on renovating and moving into it with my family (same block I was born on) or possibly saving it for later and renting it out - my wife and I are trying to decide if paying for private school in the city will be worth it.

This house has, by the squatters own admission, infestations of bed-bugs, roaches, and mice. The squatter has also adopted multiple cats and the house absolutely reeks in the summer time. The roof started leaking about 6 months ago according to the squatter (she asked th And even after explaining my entire story and how this is negatively affecting their property, the neighbor proclaimed that what I am doing isn't right and is harassment and that this nut in my house has squatters rights. Even after showing proof of ownership, and explaining the house and family history in the most polite way possible, the wife of the neighbor couple said she would not assist me in any way and would still provide help to the squatter. Hostile would be the best term to describe how she treated me. The neighbor has a background in social work and is currently a police officer for a local college. She started a go-fund me page for my squatter and even put a collection jar for my squatter in her college police department.

So for the life of me, I can't understand why a supposedly normal couple would want to live next door to what they have and choose not to improve their block, their relationship with their neighbors, and their property value. I am currently speaking with the husband of the couple who seems to be the more personable of the two and let him know how screwed up this all is given the fact that this squatter would have been gone if not for their help. Now it will most likely take 9 months to a year and cost me thousands of dollars while repaying a retirement loan while a squatter sits in my property. While sympathetic, he still seems to want to help this woman get back on her feet before helping me get rid of her by minding their own business and not helping her eat, drink, bathe, support her cats.

So, I am looking for advice as I am considering a few options. Here is what I am considering:

1.) Hiring a lawyer. Not sure what further help this will be since my case is pretty clean-cut and I am already in the process of ejection just waiting for the civil process to run its course. I already filed a motion for summary judgement. Still haven't even received a date for the case management conference. Very hesitant to throw more money away needlessly if it will be of minimal benefit.

2.) Somehow getting this woman to sign-on as a tenant for a three-month lease and then evicting her for non-payment. It seems like an eviction would be much easier than an ejection suit.

3.) Filing a small-claims lawsuit (can be up to 12K in Phila.) against my squatter for negligence to my property and having the utilities turned on in my name (yes, this happened and she now has all utilities available to her whereas she did not before I paid all the liens at settlement - this is crazy as now the electric and gas utilities need me to have her sign an agreement to stop service, which she refuses to do) Water can be shut off but requires one complete billing cycle before they can shut service off according to them. Not sure if I'll ever get anything but it may do the trick of getting her out if there is some way to garnish whatever income she is getting from disability or social security.

4.) Filing a small-claims lawsuit against the neighbors for their continued help which is contributing to the problem and costing me a lot of money.

5.) Calling a local news network and having them air the story. I already did the groundwork and a local network channel is interested in my story provided I have proof of everything I claim, which I do. I have all my ducks in order and would really love to have someone blast how inefficient and ridiculous this city can be. My only hesitation would be creating even worse blood between me and the neighbors but most of me doesn't really care anymore as they cost me enough already.

Any suggestions or flaws in my plans? I am all ears and tired of trying to find similar cases online. I have had no luck.

EDIT: I offered keys-for-cash to this squatter already and found her apartments too that were reasonable she said $2000 "wasn't shit."


Adverse Possession: Squatter Getting Help from Neighbors

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire