vendredi 27 novembre 2015

Getting Fired: Made a Recording of the Boss at Work, He Found Out, Now Threatening Legal Action

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: PA

Made a recording of the boss at work, he found out, now threatening legal action. OH vs. PA? After the fact help needed.


I have spent most of my life in Ohio (a one-party state) but took a job just over the boarder (about 16 miles) in Pennsylvania (a two-party state). Years, ago in OH, I was advised by a lawyer to tape conversations with my boss when he asked my to do something that was illegal. That situation worked out fine, and I prevailed. A few years back I joined a large 1000+ employee manufacturer in PA. However, recently my new boss in PA started demanding that I do things that were clearly against company policy, but may not have been illegal. So I used my iPhone to tape one such conversation. I started taping mid-way through the conversation, because the conversation started to get uncomfortable. I was not aware that recording in PA was any different than OH at the time. My boss and the HR people told me it was illegal in PA and have threaten to have me put in jail on criminal charges, sue me civilly, terminate me from my job, and they have me on leave now. Help!

Other details... I did not go to my boss or management... one of my coworkers did. Only one employee heard the recording on my phone. It was supposed to be a secret between us, but they told my boss about the recording in an effort to try and be helpful. They feel bad now, but I feel worse... No one has a copy of the recording. I deleted it from my phone when I first found out that is could have been illegal. So even if I was compelled to produce the recording, I could not. There are no transcripts. The only people who ever heard it are myself and the coworker. So all anybody has to go on is the word of the employee who only heard the recording once. I am not sure the coworker would testify against me, but our our boss and employer could put pressure on them.


Getting Fired: Made a Recording of the Boss at Work, He Found Out, Now Threatening Legal Action

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire