vendredi 27 novembre 2015

Determination of Fault: Car Hit My Barely Open Passenger Door - Who is at Fault

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: New York.

Hello, a few nights ago, a friend was dropping me off at my apartment. They were driving a car borrowed from a mutual friend. I was sitting in the back passenger side, on the street side, and was preparing to get out. I am familiar with the dangers of exiting street-side in NYC, and I cracked the door slightly to check for oncoming cars, and boom, someone's hit the door with their sideview mirror at a quite high speed. They stop and we get into a bit of an argument about who is at fault, and them mentioning something about being scared because they are immigrants and have just bought this car. He calls a friend for advice. He says I should have been looking, and I say that I had barely opened the door, and that I drive professionally and that he had to be driving too fast and far too close to our car to hit it that hard, because I had not opened the door more than a couple of inches.

Anyway, me telling him I drive as a career prompted him to the call 911 for "advice". The cops got there and told him to google how much the sideview mirrors costs and just get it replaced, and that he had a week to file a police report. I gave him my information, but I just can't shake feeling like I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for his sideview mirror because I didn't carelessly fling my door open, and I felt he was just driving too fast and would have hit the car regardless of the door being open or not. Should I suck it up and give him cash? He only took down my personal information and not the info for the car and driver, so what would be involved in him filing a police report?

Sorry for the long winded question! Any advice VERY appreciated.


Determination of Fault: Car Hit My Barely Open Passenger Door - Who is at Fault

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire