dimanche 29 novembre 2015

Breaking a Lease: Subtle Harassment by Landlord

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Connecticut

On 11/1/15, my previous landlord (I lived in her basement) came to examine a lock. We previously got along well but she suddenly became passive-aggressive and made slight insults towards me. Later that day, I received an email that I needed to evict by 1/1/16. She then sent me four additional rambling emails about irrelevant topics (e.g. her childhood farm, how I can use salt to clean, her stay in Scotland). We were not acquaintances and I only knew her through renting from her so I felt slightly afraid of her bizarre behavior.

The next morning at 6 am, she stood in the garage outside my door and began loudly mocking me for a scenario where I made a clumsy mistake a couple weeks prior. She sounded aggressive. I have no evidence of this situation. That day, I took a half-day off of work as I was very upset and began to fear my safety. My boss offered to let me stay with her and my mom offered to help pay for a hotel. I was advised by many people to leave the situation quickly and quietly.

I thankfully found an apartment and moved out within a few days. In that period, she continued to send me bizarre emails although I thankfully did not have to interact with her face-to-face. She stated that I could not use her mailbox anymore (though I had been throughout the stay), she said she no longer had money for trash service so I , she claimed there was eboli in the water from her ex-husband (this seemed like a joke...but then said I should drink from bottled water only). I also received many more emails about her personal life. I responded sparingly to her 18 emails (I responded to 3). Any responses came back by calling me petty and "wasting her time" by making her read emails.

I moved out on 11/6/15 and sent her a one-month notice as according to the lease. I also sent keys with a receipt of delivery. She emailed me stating I am responsible for December's rent (I was planning on pro-rating it). I looked into it and I believe she is legally correct...does my notice on 11/6/15 not go into effect until 12/1/15 (the first of the month)? Then, she claims she will return my security deposit.

When I went to the post office to change my mailing address as she requested, a post office worker told me there have been at least 25 tenants at her residence, many of whom come to the post office with similar experiences. He told me he thinks it's a scam to take advantage of young people & then keep their security deposits.

I still don't think I have any sort of case and am not sure it would be worth my energy to try and retrieve my security deposit. What do you think? Do I have any evidence of harassment? Can I receive my security deposit and the month of rent from November? Should I find a way to pursue this further so she can't take advantage of future tenants?


Breaking a Lease: Subtle Harassment by Landlord

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire